Wednesday 5 October 2016

Abstracts by Angela Charles


I didn't get to as many studios as I would have like during Somerset Open Studios, but I really enjoyed the visits I did make!  The artist, whose work you can see above and below, is Angela Charles.  I went to her delightful home and studio in Crewkerne.



The paintings are in response to the dramatic coastline of the South West - the landscape, light and the sea.  Angela takes regular trips there in her camper van and does pen sketches and writes notes about the location on that particular occasion.

Back at her studio these are interpreted into paintings, which may bear little resemblance to the original sketch, but retains her feelings of being there.  She works in layers of acrylic paint on spray-primed aluminium or wooden boards.  Areas of frantic mark making, contrast with smooth calm sections, giving her wonderful work a sense of peace as well as intensity.


Helen - Contributor

No comments:

Post a Comment