Tuesday 4 January 2011

Carrie ....Report on BBC Turn Back Time

Carrie's home town is Shepton Mallet prior to living in London where she is studying Fashion Design, Styling and Promotion. I am sharing this report with you from her fabulous blog site http://wishwishwish.net/

WooHoo! A New Vintage Shop!






Turn Back Time…

Did any of you catch any episodes of last month’s BBC series, Turn Back Time: The Highstreet“? For those of you that didn’t, it was a series that followed a shopkeepers as they were ‘transported’ through the eras, from the 1870s to the 1970s, with their shops changing accordingly each week to represent the changing high street. It’s the kind of thing I might watch anyway, but this time around I was particularly excited as the entire thing was set and filmed in my little town!
I caught some of the filming whilst I was home for summer, and it was amazing seeing the usually empty shops decorated and full of life. The last era saw a clothing boutique open – I wished I could have been part of it and visited, but I needn’t have worried because two lovely ladies decided to take on the already-fitted shop after filming and turn it into a little vintage clothing haven!
Now this might not seem like a big deal to some of you, but having lived in a small town with only New Look to shop in my entire life, this new addition is very welcome indeed. I think I’ll be popping down a few more times this holiday to check out new stock, and chat to the friendly owners, Mandy and Zoe on their huge 70s sofa.




A Little Tan Coat

I know the vast majority of you won’t be able to visit the shop in person, but I’m sure there are a few of you from the West Country that can pop by if you’re in the area. It’s worth a visit, even if it’s just to do a little dressing up and chatting like I did earlier – I felt so welcome even after declaring I didn’t have any money to buy anything!
Zoe explained how they have tried to keep their prices as low as possible, and I could see that – pristine vintage coats for £40, dresses for £15..I was bound to find something to fall in love with. And I did, unfortunately. You see that little tan coat I’m wearing above (Thank you Zoe for the pictures!), normally I’d have snapped it up but I’ve promised not to spend any more money for a while, so I unwillingly placed it back on the hanger, only to go on and find some beautiful collared 60s and 70s mini dresses. Sigh.
Knowing my willpower, I’ll probably be back early in the new year to make a sneaky purchase before I go back to London.
For those of you that definitely can’t visit – they do have a small eBay shop that’s worth checking from time to time – have a look!
Thank you WooHoo vintage for letting me take pictures!



If you managed to watch the series, you might recognise this milk bar from the 60’s episode – it’s still there, looking amazing..but unfortunately closed! x

Thank you Carrie
No21x

No comments:

Post a Comment